PREP TIME-10 mins
COOK TIME-20 mins
TOTAL TIME-30 mins
- 10 medium red or yellow potatoes, cut into a ¾th-inch dice
- 4 Kashmiri or Byadgi chilies, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes (Use 2 guajillo peppers if you can’t find these)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Shan aloo masala(https://amzn.to/2JFiCpn)
- In a dry saucepan or cast iron skillet, roast the garlic, skin on, for a couple of minutes, turning over once, until slightly soft. Peel and place in a blender with the soaked chilies and ½ cup of water or the soaking liquid. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a large wok or saucepan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they sputter, add the fenugreek and fennel seeds and turmeric. Stir for half a minute, then add the potatoes.
- Stir well to coat the potatoes with the spices. Turn the heat to medium and place a tight-fitting lid on the pan. Pour some water over the lid (a rimmed lid works best for this– the water on the lid helps the potatoes steam without sticking or burning). Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are fork-tender but not mushy.
- Add the red chili-shan aloo masala-garlic paste and stir well to mix. Let the potatoes cook in the past for 2-3 minutes until the water dries out. Add salt to taste and lime juice and garnish, if desired, with coriander.
- Serve hot with rice and dal.